The story left off Sunday, as Sunday was the last day with free internet access. Sunday ended the official "mission" part of the trip. It was a hard, emotional ending at that. I would much rather have stayed at the orphanage the whole time and spent more time with the kids. That was the entire purpose of me going. Leaving them was hard for me because of several reasons:
One was that, ok, so I was leaving...getting to escape from Hanbury Home and see a change of scenery...but they weren't. That was there home, and that is where they had to stay. My time was served, but their time continued and not by their own choice. Hanbury Home is all they have, and their caregivers are the only true family they have. All they have is each other.
Two was the actual fact of me not being able to keep up with them once I left. In a sense, I felt like a partial father and brother to some of the kids. Not being able to check in on them any time I feel like it, not being able to know they are alright, and not being able to comfort them if they should need it: those things made leaving harder. I guess that is where faith comes in. I know God will look after them. Someone told me that I was the hands and heart of God while I was there. As unworthy as I was, I tried my best to show them all the love and support I could spare. I believe that is what God asked me to do while I was there. God is love.
My only hope and wish is that I touched the lives of those kids in some way. I hope the ones I got close to don't forget me because I know I won't forget them. They have changed my outlook so much, and for that I will always be thankful.
So Monday, we left for Montego Bay. We stopped for lunch in Negril at the famous Rick's Cafe. There, I got my first full glimpse of the Caribbean: crystal clear blue water. Also we watched several cliff divers jump from different spots into the ocean below. I have video that I will try to post on facebook later. We left Rick's and around 30 minutes later arrived in Montego Bay. We unloaded the bus and headed for our rooms at Dr's Cave Hotel. There I was all too much in a hurry to change into my bathing suit and head to the beach to go snorkeling. There are several reefs out from the beach there. At first I went out into the ocean without a snorkel and was going to look at the reefs. I made it about 20 feet out and the ocean floor began to drop out from under me so quickly it was unbelievable how deep it actually was. Needless to say I didn't make it to the reef that time. Kristen let me borrow her snorkel and a finally got to swim on out there to see it. All I can say is it was beautiful. There were all different kinds of sponges present, as well as a few less colorful types of coral. There were tons of clown fish, puffer fish, and sea urchins out too. Saw several eels and a few species of fish I did not recognize. Needless to say I enjoyed it. After the snorkeling, we went to Margaritaville. The hamburger in paradise was pretty amazing, as well as the volcano nachos. We then headed back to the hotel for vespers and such.
Tuesday was all about Dunn's River Falls and the market at Ocho Rios. We went to the market first. That was all together interesting. There were all kinds of people of various crafts out wanting you to look at their stuff. You could also very easily bargain with them. I got offered a lot of things, some I will not mention here but you can ask. lol. Dunn's River Falls was also pretty cool. You got to climb up from beach level to the very top of the freshwater river. We had to climb it the first time with guides. They almost got me killed. They made you hold onto the people in front of you and behind you's hands. I needed my hands for balance, not for holding on to others. The second time was easier as we were on our own. Here is a picture of it although the picture doesn't show the whole thing or give justice to it's size:

The rest of the day was spent driving back to the hotel, and eating at the Groovy Grouper on the beach. Vespers that night was pretty emotional. Each of us talked about all of our different experiences while on the trip. For a while I couldn't even make myself talk. Finally I spoke up and told the group how the kids changed me and how God did answer a prayer I have been praying for a long time. I had so much more to say but my voice started to crack and I wouldn't be able to hold myself together for much longer...so I stopped. I've never lost control like that in a long time: proof that this mission trip touched me in more ways than I can ever speak in words. What got to me though, is the mission trip reminded me so much of someone close to home, my little Will. Maybe that is why I got attached to some of them so much...and if I could, I would have adopted both Daniel's in a split second...just to give them the same chance that Will has. Maybe there still is a chance...for my parents. All in all, that was all going through my head as I spoke. After we all spoke, we had communion and received the first sign of the Christians, the sign of the fish, in accordance with "And I will make ye fishers of men." That night I mostly spent in thought.
We left the next day, and as Jamaica shrank in the distance as I looked from my window on the 757, I said a prayer for all of the wonderful things God showed me and taught me in a beautiful land that I can now call my "home".
To close, I give word from a newly acquired favorite hymn (thanks Major Richards):
"Channels Only"
How I praise Thee, precious Savior,
That Thy love laid hold of me;
Thou hast saved and cleansed and filled me
That I might Thy channel be.
Channels only, blessèd Master,
But with all Thy wondrous power
Flowing through us, Thou canst use us
Every day and every hour
Just a channel full of blessing,
To the thirsty hearts around;
To tell out Thy full salvation
All Thy loving message sound.
Channels only, blessèd Master,
But with all Thy wondrous power
Flowing through us, Thou canst use us
Every day and every hour
0 comments: