Today was a day of mixed emotions. It feels great doing a good thing, but all good things as they say must come to an end. The spirit of the occasion continues though: purpose. I love kids because they show us a true unhindered way of thinking that is long forgotten with age. Today I really got to know an 11 year old named Daniel (not the 5 year old Daniel who is my buddy). He is a bright kid who isn't talkative at first, but once you take time and talk with him and let him get involved with what you are doing, his personality really shows. Like any younger boy, he wants to help out with something. No one was really talking the time to acknowledge him, so I let him help me out with the fence we were putting up. He liked just being involved. While he was trying to help, he accidentally messed up the fence and got yelled at by some of our team. I felt bad for him and told him to come help me out tying the fence to the posts with ties. We got to talking and I was amazed at how much this kid sounded like me. But then again, he has faced nightmares that I couldn't even imagine facing. He is 11 and he has to fend for himself, he has no one to depend on, and he needs a father-ish/role model figure in his life. It makes me angry that I have so much and am never content and he has so little and is content. Being able to look at the world through his eyes today has humbled me extremely. He is a good kid and deserves better than what he has. I wish I could do something to help. He is a good kid and helps support the smaller kids. He is in my prayers, as well is my little Daniel.
Today, we finished up the fence we'd been working on. That was some work. Streching the fence out like to have killed us all. Today was also the Major's retirement party at Hanbury Home. All the kids were out there as well as family and friends from his past. The major is really a good man.
Tomorrow is my morning watch? i think. I will post it on here tomorrow morning also.
No pictures on facebook tonight. I don't have time to load them. Tomorrow there will be a ton, as it is the goodbye ceremony for the kids. Giving my shoes and some shirts of mine away. I've also got to thank the two people that have helped change my life tremendously in such a short time.
Tomorrow will be bitter sweet. But it is a joy to get to see them all one more time.
Goodnight and Peace
=Matt
"Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
-Matthew 19:13-14
Today, we finished up the fence we'd been working on. That was some work. Streching the fence out like to have killed us all. Today was also the Major's retirement party at Hanbury Home. All the kids were out there as well as family and friends from his past. The major is really a good man.
Tomorrow is my morning watch? i think. I will post it on here tomorrow morning also.
No pictures on facebook tonight. I don't have time to load them. Tomorrow there will be a ton, as it is the goodbye ceremony for the kids. Giving my shoes and some shirts of mine away. I've also got to thank the two people that have helped change my life tremendously in such a short time.
Tomorrow will be bitter sweet. But it is a joy to get to see them all one more time.
Goodnight and Peace
=Matt
"Then little children were brought to Jesus for him to place his hands on them and pray for them. But the disciples rebuked those who brought them. Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."
-Matthew 19:13-14
0 comments: